- Started his business building PhraseExpander, a text expansion software for Windows based on his own needs
- Totally focused on the product. Had no idea of who could use it. If he has a need for it, other people will probably need it as well
- Used the old approach. Build the product first and people will come
- Things didn’t work out. Sales were stagnant and things were not going anywhere
- Breakthrough when meeting Eng Tong Tan in Singapore, a very peculiar business consultant
- Completely different take on business. Eng says: "Help people first and solve their problems. Money is a consequence"
- "It’s not how you sell. It’s why they buy"
- Decided to focus on the people you are helping. Understanding the market and the audience.
- Start calling your customers to understand what’s was going on in their life
- What was going on into your life when you decided to look for a solution?
- How difficult is it to get started with out product?
- What specific benefits are you getting from using it?
- Redesign product and marketing copy to resonate with the audience
- Use their language and discover the voice of your customers
- Sales up 10x without paid advertising or focusing on marketing
- Focus on your customers: if you can understand their problems better than anyone else, your experience a substantial growth in your business
Read notes of all the other talks in the Microconf 2014 Hub page.